Friday, December 7, 2007

Hip, Hip Hooray It's Christmas Vacation


TBS rebroadcast one of my favorite holiday classics, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, last night and I've gotta say, this baby is like a fine wine that just gets better with time. And I just noticed something random last night. Do you realize that the children are played by different actors in every installment? Rusty has been played, most famously by Anthony Michael Hall (original), but also Johnny Galecki (Christmas Vacation) of Rosanne and The Big Bang Theory, and Ethan Embry (Vegas Vacation) of Brotherhood,Can't Hardly Wait, and Dutch. Wait, you remember Dutch, right? With Ed O'Neil and the dog? No? Whatever. I was young and impressionable then. Anyway, back to Rustys' there was also that other one from European Vacation, whom I can only image is out of the business. Or at least I hope he is. For his sake. The whole exercise reminds me of The Office when Michael brought back two completely different Asian girls from Benihanas. Then he had to mark one of them. The tears of laughter still come out with that scene. Good Times.

In any event, Christmas Vacation is a staple of mine. That and A Christmas Story. So to celebrate such a crowning achievement of Holiday Splendor, I give you one of my favorite scenes. Enjoy!:

No comments: